Located near Scotts Bluff National Monument, Fort Mitchell served as a frontier army post from 1864 to 1867. Fort Mitchell was named in honor of General Robert B. Mitchell and was established to protect emigrants on the Oregon Trail and the transcontinental telegraph. In 1978, the site where Fort Mitchell once stood was added to the National Register of Historic Places and is located northwest of Scotts Bluff National Monument just east of the North Platte River Bridge on Highway 92. There are markers at the site for the historic fort as well as the Pony Express and the Oregon Trail.
Information about Fort Mitchell and the Oregon Trail can be found at the Scotts Bluff National Monument.